Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Clean Cheap

I am not crazy about cleaning, but what I really hate is spending a bundle on cleaning products, and all the different smells that go with them.

On cleaning days I arm myself with a spray bottle of water with a couple tablespoons of bleach, another with diluted vinegar, a box of baking soda, some rags, and my off-brand Magic Eraser.

In the bathroom I spray surfaces with the bleach - be sure it doesn't come in contact with towels, rugs or other surfaces that might be damaged. All the faucets get a rinse and polish so the bleach doesn't damage the finish. The mirror gets a squirt of vinegar, and everything gets wiped and polished with soft cotton rags. The toilet gets its own glug of bleach straight form the bottle and a quick brush.

The kitchen gets a similar treatment, with an extra rub of the stainless sink with the eraser. It really shines it up. The glass top stove gets rubbed with baking soda and a damp rag, as do the refrigerator shelves. The counters get a bleach spray and wipe. And the toaster shines from the eraser. I never do a complete cleaning of the cabinet doors because when I clean the kitchen each night I just wipe off two or three of them so they all get cleaned every couple of weeks.

Pots with burned on food get baking soda soak and scrub. Any pots with water spots or rainbows from the dishwasher get the vinegar treatment.

I have 400 square feet of peel and stick vinyl flooring in my kitchen level that I myself peeled and stuck. I do a hands and knees scrub of it as needed, but in between I like to run the Swiffer over it. The floor is so big that I used three or four of the swiffers wipes every time and decided that was wasteful. Now I spray the vinegar solution on any noticeable spot. Then I use an old dish towels that I rinse at intervals. Folded in half it fits well, then goes into the wash. Just as easy as the Swiffer but without the expense.

My windows get washed with vinegar solution and newspaper. The paper polishes the glass and leaves no lint. Just be aware that you could leave nasty black fingerprints on adjacent surfaces if you are not careful.

Throughout the house I dust with a rag lightly sprayed with vinegar solution to help pick up the dust, and I wipe any marks on walls with the eraser. I spray a different rag with bleach to wipe all the light switches and door knobs to try to cut down on germ sharing.

When I'm done the rags go in the trash or the wash. The house smells fresh from the bleach and everything shines. And it costs next to nothing. I hope you share your favorite cleaning tips because I'm always looking for more ideas.

14 comments:

  1. Great tips!!! Does the vinigar and newspaper work well on car windsheilds as well?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, Jaime. It works on car windows and even seems to help some with the condensation. It really takes off the pet and kid smudges we love so much.

    ReplyDelete
  3. One hint (not to do with product) is to do the inside of any window horizontally, for example. Then do the outside vertically.

    This way when you step back and see streaks, you'll be able to know if it's on the inside or outside.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good point, won. I do that when I remember to. And when the arm will go vertically.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good tips! I love my magic erasers too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Magic Erasers...genuis! Good tip on the Swiffer, I'm gonna try that.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for all the wonderful tips....you are really helping me to be more frugal.....

    ReplyDelete
  8. Would it be considered anti-frugal to offer to pay you to come clean my house? :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. SOOOOO much more ambitious than I!
    We have a large non-swiffer-brand thing, that I have microfiber cloths for that I LOVE.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy Thanksgiving and congrats on the newest Really Frugal baby grand! What a blessing! Know you are enjoying your day with your family! Can't wait to hear more about the baby!

    ReplyDelete
  11. do you make your own laundry soap. we make ours. it is so easy and really only cost about 18 cents a gallon

    ReplyDelete