Thursday, October 1, 2009

Scoring Avocados

When I enter the grocery store, my first stop is usually the cart where the produce guy has put his marked down stuff he's trying to get rid of quickly. Not only do I get great deals, but I feel kind of like a Veggie Tales hero saving the tired stuff from a certain fate.

Last week I wanted guacamole (yes, with lots of cilantro) but the under-ripe avocados were $1.69, and I needed two. My favorite cart held the treasure I was looking for - a bag of 4 perfectly ripe avocados for 99 cents. Score!

This week I was standing before the cart feeling sympathy for the sad selection that was unlikely to be taken home by anyone when the guy pushed up a second tall cart filled top to bottom with peaches and nectarines for 25 cents a pound. Three big bags came home with me and found their way into a big peach crisp and simple nectarine jam. For less than $3. I love a successful produce hunt!

Nectarine or Peach (or berry) Jam
3 cups pared sliced fruit
1 cup sugar
2 T lemon juice

Place everything in a skillet. Bring to a boil. Cook about 8-9 minutes until a teaspoon dropped in a bowl over ice gels in 30 seconds. Store jam in the fridge for up to 2 weeks or freeze to keep longer.

No comments:

Post a Comment